The definition like the Eastern culture and the Western culture seems to have the same origin. If speak in the simple words, the Eastern culture means Asia and the Western culture means Europe and the USA. These cultures were developed together for some time, but after some time they are really different. They can have some the same features, but also, they are really different ones. If you wish to order cultural analysis essay, you will like our custom writing service. You can be sure, that you will get the best cultural differences essay in the world. So, let’s check this information in detail.
What is the culture of the East and the West?
The Eastern culture is the culture of the countries like India, Japan and a lot of other ones, which have a lot of traditions and habits. They would like to continue the old traditions and to not like to change them to something new.
The Western culture is the culture of the Europe and the USA, which contains from the dynamic lifestyle, development in the countries and a lot of new technologies, which were developed.
- The Eastern culture is not developed very quickly. You can see, that there are the traditions, which were presented even 100, 200 or even more years ago. At the same time, the Western culture is developed every day. You can see a lot of changes and a lot of new things, which are added to it every day.
- The main difference in these cultures can be in the religion. The Eastern culture can have a lot of different Gods and religions. People believe not in one God, but they have a lot of them, for example, the Gods of the sky, sun and other ones. But in the Western culture is only one God and a lot of people from the West culture accept the Christianity.
- The Eastern culture is built on the different ancient traditions and rules. The West can break the rules and change them with the development.
- The West tries to find more information about this world, but the East does not like a lot of modern technologies.
- The people from the West are the masters of the nature, but the people from the West live in the nature, they are together with it.
- People from the West can show their point of view directly, in a few words. They do not use very long sentences and words, but at that time, people from the East like to use such constructions and some citations. Sometimes, it is very difficult to understand each other for peoples, that belong to the different cultures.
- For the Western culture, the person is on the first place, but if we compare it with the Eastern culture, there the person is not on the first place. You will see, that here, people live for the others, but in the Western culture, people should live for themselves only.
- It is possible to see the difference in solving the problem. People from the West see the problem and do everything possible to solve it in the shortest way. At that time, people, that live on the East, will think a lot and will do all possible to find the other solution.
- It can be the funny fact, but there is also the difference in the mood and the weather in these cultures. If there is the sunny weather, all people will be glad, but the people from the East will be glad even if there is the rain, at that time, when the people from the West will not be so happy.
- If we would like to check the life of the older people in these cultures, it can be in this way. The old people in the West spend their free time with animals or traveling, but the people in the East try to spend a lot of their free time with their children, families and relatives. It is because of the fact, that people value the family traditions a lot of the East. The detailed information you can find in the importance of family essay.
- If we check the working sphere, we will see the different attitude to the boss. In the Western culture, the boss is accepted as the usual worker, which can even be your friend and you can drink the beer with him after hard working day. But in the Eastern culture, the boss is the wisest person in the organization and people really respect him. The more detailed information you can get in the essay on cultural diversity, ordering it on our site,
- If we compare the transport system, we will see this picture. For example, in 1970 people from the West used a lot of cars, but at the same time, people from the East used the bicycles. If we compare the year 2006, we will see, that situation has changed. People from the East use a lot of cars, at that time, when people from the West try to use a lot of bicycles.
- If people went abroad, you can notice, that people from the West just look everything and try to visit every famous place. At the same time, people from the East have a lot of cameras and try to film everything they see.
- If we compare the meals, it is possible to see, that people from the West like eating different east food, at that time, when the people from the East like to eat the European cuisine.
- All of you know, that people from the West cannot imagine their life without coca cola. They can drink it every day. But at the same time, the famous drink between the people from the East is tea. They have a lot of sorts and it is possible to purchase this product in the shop. The prices are high, but you can be sure, that you are drinking the real tea.
- As we have a lot of work every day, we can notice, that usually we eat hot soup or something like it only 1 time per day. But people from the East can eat the hot dish 3 times per day.
As we can see, all people are different and because of it, the cultures are different too. It is very interesting to find some new traditions and rules for yourself every day, because of it, if you need to write the cultural competence essay, you can easily place the order on our site and you will get the essay, which will exceed all your expectations.
The East is East and the West is West! Neither is better nor worse than the other. The philosophies and beliefs are not really absolute in this day and age of cosmopolitan living. But, if truth be told, variations do exist even though in unpredictable proportions. It’s the way of looking at life that by and large differs. For the purpose of clarity, it has been assumed that Asia, including Middle East, depicts the Eastern world while Europe and North America form the Western world. Here is a list of top 10 differences between Eastern and Western Cultures that show a few broad demarcations between them.
10. Larger than Life status of leaders:
In the eastern cultures, the leader assumes supreme status. He has a great bearing on the general public. This comes from the fact that in eastern cultures a technically greater man is often elevated to God-like status irrespective of his worth. While in the western cultures, the concept of equality is taken more seriously and a leader is just one among the rest. He is not looked as above and over the general public.
The relationships in the eastern cultures are family centric. Couples for example need to pass through family approvals before taking the step towards something as personal and important as marriage. This is also one of the reasons why arranged marriages are still very much pertinent to the eastern societies. In the western civilization, the self is given preference over family and hence decisions on priority and relevance of relationships are of the individual. This is infact one of the major differences between eastern and western cultures.
8. Travelling or Vacations:
The Western world takes time out for travelling as an indispensable part of their lives. Vacations are days that are looked forward to in that part of the world. While holidays are awaited as much eagerly by those living in the Eastern world, too, the luxury of taking one depends very much on the work place approvals, nature of the individuals and mindset of the society. Often it is years before a long break is taken by people in these countries. Perhaps it is something to do with the slogging and laboring mindset pertinent in the east.
7. Individual worth:
The individual is given more worth in the western society, while it is the community and the family that tops the list in the eastern society. Both has its sets of pros and cons as the importance given to family forms a support system always available in times of need; the same might not be present to those in the west. However, the vital decisions of one’s life are often forced on an individual by the family or community in the east while this is hardly ever the case in the west.
Religion in the eastern society is given more importance than perhaps in the west. The importance of religion in the east can be gauged by the events related to religion that still stir societies in this part of the world. To this day there are riots and killings in the name of faith. Although religion is a very much existent concept in the west, it has not been stretched to the extent of intolerance like in the east.
The idea of independence in its true context exists only in the western culture. In the east, independence comes with “ifs” and “buts” or laden with various other conditions. No individual can be truly independent in the east where the bond with the family precedes anything related to the self. Something as basic as children moving out of the parents’ house after a certain age which is very much common and sanctioned in the western culture is seen as blasphemous to family in the east.
4. Status of female:
In the east women are still regarded as those who would sacrifice professional life and career in favour of rearing children (yes, just like cattle) and taking care of the family. This is one of the psyches of the East that is not prevalent in the West. A female in the west is free to decide her priorities and something as basic as when to marry or even bear children. The same luxury or right has to be fought for and often not granted to the women in the East.
The West is known for its openness and the ease with which several topics are discussed across generations. Discussing something as basic and important as child birth or sex is still a taboo in the East while that is done with much candour in the West. The lack of openness and conservative outlook is in fact one of the hurdles in making sex education a must in the East while the same proceeds almost without any hindrance in the West.
When it comes to attitude, the West could be thought of as analytical and detailed. The focus on the problem at hand and arrive at an outcome based of the pros and cons of that particular problem. The East, however, is known for its holistic view. The preference of the latter is to come to a well-rounded and all-inclusive solution which applies across the table.
1. Rigid Beliefs:
It has been seen that more often than not the people from the East are rigid in their ideologies and beliefs. For them the truth is what has been there for thousands of years and not to be challenged irrespective of its fading validity in modern times. However, things are looked from a rational perspective in the West, and decisions and actions are not emotionally driven.
Popular on the Web